PH offers humanitarian aid as Japan recovers from Typhoon Hagibis
Marje Pelayo • October 14, 2019 • 167
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine government is ready to provide humanitarian assistance to the government of Japan following the massive destruction brought about by the ‘violent’ Typhoon Hagibis that struck the east Asian country over the weekend.
In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo cited President Rodrigo Duterte’s expression of sympathy to the Japanese people for the victims of the disaster.
“The Philippine embassy in Tokyo is closely monitoring the situation and is now in coordination with the members of the Filipino community in typhoon-affected areas in Japan,” Panelo said.
“As we offer our prayers, the Office of the President has likewise asked the Department of Foreign Affairs to get in touch with its Japanese counterpart for possible humanitarian assistance we can provide,” he added.
Public broadcaster NHK reported more than 30 people were killed, almost 20 people went missing and over 160 people were injured after ‘Hagibis’ brought record-breaking volume of rainfall and flooded huge swaths of residential districts on Saturday (October 12) and Sunday (October 13) in Tokyo and other areas in central, eastern and northeastern region,
‘Hagibis,’ which means ‘speed’ in Filipino language, inundated cities and towns across Japan including those in Nagano, Niigata, Miyagi, Fukushima, Ibaraki, Kanagawa and Saitama prefectures.
Rescue efforts were ramped up for survivors as many trapped in their homes after major rivers overflowed their banks on the onset of what Japan considered as the ‘heaviest’ typhoon to hit the country in decades.
Many people were forced to abandon submerged homes.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in a ministerial meeting on the typhoon held on Sunday (October 13) extended his condolences for all those who lost their lives and offered sympathy to all those impacted by Typhoon Hagibis.
Fukushima residents after Typhoon Hagibis: ‘We’ve never seen damage like this’
Robie de Guzman • October 15, 2019
Fukushima residents on Tuesday (October 15) took stock of the damage left in the wake of Hagibis as the death toll of the worst typhoon to hit Japan for decades climbed to 66.
The highest death toll was in Fukushima prefecture north of Tokyo, where levees burst in at least 14 places along the Abukuma River, which meanders through a number of cities in the largely agricultural prefecture.
At least 25 people died in Fukushima, including a mother and child who were caught in floodwaters, NHK said. Another child of the woman remains missing.
Part of Masaharu Ishizawa’s family’s back garden had been washed away, breaking water pipes and electricity lines.
The family was using water carried from a local community center to clean up.
Two doors down, an old house had collapsed after the flood washed its foundations away.
About 133,000 households were without water while 22,000 lacked electricity, well down on the hundreds of thousands initially left without power but a cause for concern in northern areas where temperatures are falling.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told a parliament committee on Tuesday (October 15) that the government is planning to classify the aftermath of Typhoon Hagibis as a “catastrophic disaster.” (Reuters)
(Production: Kwiyeon Ha, Hideto Sakai, Akiko Okamoto)
Japan’s capital braces for what could be heaviest rain in 60 years
Robie de Guzman • October 11, 2019
A powerful storm approached Japan on Friday (October 11), threatening to batter its capital with the heaviest rain in 60 years, disrupting a Formula One Grand Prix and rugby’s World Cup and raising fears of transport chaos.
Typhoon Hagibis, which means “speed” in the Philippine language Tagalog, is due to make landfall on the main island of Honshu on Saturday (October 12), a month after one of the strongest typhoons to hit Japan in recent years destroyed or damaged 30,000 houses and caused extensive power cuts.
The storm could be the strongest to hit Tokyo since 1958 and people should also prepare for high waves and storm surges, Yasushi Kajihara, forecast division director at the Japan Meteorological Agency, told media during a Friday briefing.
Rugby World Cup organisers on Thursday (October 10) cancelled Saturday’s game between England and France as well as New Zealand’s match against Italy due to the risk from the typhoon. Japanese Formula One Grand Prix organisers also cancelled all practice and qualifying sessions scheduled for Saturday.
Typhoon Hagibis is expected to pass over or get close to Tokyo and neighbouring areas including Chiba prefecture, which is still recovering from a devastating typhoon Faxai that struck a month ago. (Reuters)
(Production: Yasuteru Ueda, Kwiyeon Ha)
DFA calls on Filipinos in Japan to keep safe ahead of Super Typhoon Hagibis
Marje Pelayo • October 11, 2019
MANILA Philippines – The trough of Typhoon Hagibis is now affecting the eastern section of Mindanao, the state weather service PAGASA said Friday (October 11).
It will bring cloudy skies with isolated rain showers and thunderstorms in CARAGA, Davao region, and Northern Mindanao.
Meanwhile, Metro Manila and the rest of the country will have partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated rain showers due to the effects of localized thunderstorms.
Likewise, the northeasterly surface windflow remains prevailing over Luzon.
When it reaches Japan this weekend, the weather system is expected to develop into a super typhoon.
The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) has categorized ‘Hagibis’ as a violent typhoon which is the highest category in Japan’s typhoon scale.
Thus, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) through the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo advised Filipinos in Japan “to stay alert and regularly monitor news and announcements” from the Japanese Government and the JMA.
“The Embassy has asked Filipinos in Japan to be careful as heavy rains, strong winds, high waves, and storm surges are likely to occur, and to avoid travelling to potentially affected areas until the typhoon has dissipated,” the DFA said in a statement.
The DFA also reminded Filipinos especially in the Greater Tokyo Area that train operations could be suspended especially if the super typhoon does not change its forecast path.
Thus, it is necessary for travelers to always check the latest information from airlines, train companies, and other public transportation companies to be able to prepare and act ahead of the possible disaster.
Filipinos needing assistance may contact the Embassy’s hotline numbers +81 80 4928 7979 and +81 80 7000 7979.